One of the first things that you see when you look at your house is the exterior. That is why you try to keep it neat and well taken care of. That is also why you need some green space around it. A house that is not surrounded by trees or a garden can be a very dull place. Your lawn must also be cut and without dry patches, which is why you need a good lawn fertilizer.
Lawn fertilizers are in every homeowner’s shed, I can guarantee that. It’s impossible to have a perfect lawn without helping it keep its health and beauty. That fresh aspect all year round doesn’t just happen. You need to tend to these things. Otherwise, you can wake up one day and see that your once beautiful lawn turned into a yellow-brown patch that you don’t know how to get rid of.
Types of lawn fertilizers
There are two types of lawn fertilizer available. Once is presented as a granular fertilizer, and the other is liquid. The granular fertilizer is applied dry, either from a container or with a mechanical spreader. Only after the granules are spread, you must move on to watering. Granular fertilizers also have two subcategories: quick release, and slow release. The quickrelease fertilizer contains a substance called WSN, or water soluble nitrogen. It lasts about three or four weeks and will provide an immediate release of nitrogen. The slow release fertilizer contains a solution called WIN (water insoluble nitrogen) which is available in polymer-coated or sulfur-coated varieties. The good news about the slow release is that it can last from 8 to 12 weeks.
The second category is represented by liquid fertilizers. They need to be applied once at two or three weeks, and their effects are quick. Liquid fertilizers are usually absorbed through leaves or roots. They were first designed for potted plants, but some of them can be used on lawns, and they work like a charm.
What does your lawn need?
Apparently, your lawn needs both macronutrients and micronutrients. Macronutrients are needed in large quantities so your plants can develop and grow beautifully, and the micronutrients are required in small amounts, but for the same purpose.
One of the primary macronutrients your plants need is Nitrogen. Without it, the leaves will not grow as big, and the green wouldn’t be as vivid as you would like. Phosphorus helps with root development, and Potassium helps the lawn resist to drought or disease. Other chemicals your lawn needs are oxygen, hydrogen, magnesium, calcium, and sulfur. However, they are usually already present in the air or soil.
Micronutrients are required in small amounts. They consist of chlorine, boron, copper, manganese, cobalt, molybdenum, nickel, zinc, and iron.
How do you know which fertilizer you need?
The answer to that question is pretty simple. You test it. We all know that soil is not the same everywhere. It depends on the region. That is why you need to perform a test and see exactly what is the soilmissingin order to have a beautiful lawn. You have two options. You either buy a test from the garden center, or you can have the soil tested by a cooperative extension office. The test you can do on your own is very simple and more accurate than you think.
Once you have the results, you will know what your lawn needs. Also, the tests can tell you if the soil is alkaline, acidic, or neutral.
When you purchase a lawn fertilizer, you will notice that there are three numbers on the label. They are also known as the NPK value. The number tells you the percentage of macronutrients by weight inside the package. Nitrogen is the first number, the second number is Phosphorus, and the third number is Potassium. For example, a label that says 20-6-6 means the fertilizer inside the bag is 20% Nitrogen, 6% Phosphorus, and 6% Potassium.
The benefits of using a lawn fertilizer
I don’t know about you, but I love my lawnwhen it’s perfect. Sometimes it happens to be a little dried out, but then I fertilize or feedit, and it comes back to its beautiful state. I believe that using a fertilizer will improve your lawn, and you can enjoy a series of benefits as a result.
- ü You can bury your feet in the grass – I love the feeling of walking barefoot I the grass. And is the grass is fertilized, it will be thick and dense. It will have that cushiony effect on your feet. Plus, maybe you have kids who like playing in the backyard. Don’t you want them to be able to walk barefoot on the grass? Not to mention that the lawn would be a hit everytime you have a barbecue with family and friends. It’s an absolute pleasure to spend some time in your backyard when the lawn is green and soft, isn’t it?
- ü You don’t have to struggle with keeping your lawn intact continuously – unless you fertilize your lawn, you will have issues a lot more oftenthan you would like. There can be dried out patches, maybe there is a drought, or maybe you have a problem with weeds. Either way, it is a hassle. But a properly fertilized lawn will not cause so much trouble. It will be green and intact all year round. As long as you use fertilizer on a regular basis, you should have no issue whatsoever.
- ü Your lawn will thrive – I bet your neighbors will be jealous unless they fertilize their lawns as well. You get this feeling of satisfaction everytime you look out the window or when you come home from work. Let’s make that every time you have the chance to look at your lawn, ok? A green, fresh, beautiful yard is always something to be proud of. It’s a sign that you care about it and invest enough time in keeping it intact.
What to pay attention to
There are little things that can cause concern when you choose a lawn fertilizer. I can only think of one that is the most important. Apart from choosing the best lawn fertilizer for your yard, you need to pay attention to toxicity. Most manufacturers now produce toxic-free fertilizers that are safe around children and pets, but some of them don’t. That is why I recommend that you don’t buy the cheapest fertilizer you can find. You don’t need the most expensive either. It’s just that you don’t want your children or pets to have a reaction. So read the label and act accordingly.
What are the best lawn fertilizers?
I haven’t tried them all to give you a right answer. What I can tell you, though, is that there are a few fertilizers which captured my attention. They have excellent effects, and the lawn looks perfect. They are also affordable and are children and pets safe. What more can you want?
Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food
The fertilizer from Scotts is available in bags that have enough to cover 2500 square feet, 5000, and 15000 square feet. It is one of the most popular products at the moment, and thousands of customers are satisfied with its effect.
The purpose of the Turf Builder is to feed and strengthen the lawn. At the same time, it will protect your yard against future problems. Grass can suffer from diseases as well, but the Turf Builder will do an excellent job of protecting it. Also, it will prevent damage caused by drought. The effects are on the entire plant, and even the roots are taken care of. It will also enhance the lawn’s ability to absorb nutrients. If you don’t use a fertilizer at the moment, you will notice an enormous improvement.
Scotts Turf Builder features a Scotts exclusive all-in-one particle technology that will allow even greening and feeding. You will not see patches of grass on your lawn. You can apply this fertilizer to any type of grass you may have, and it will thrive. It doesn’t matter which season we are in, this lawn fertilizer will take care of your grass. It is entirely safe around children and pets. The NPK number is 26-0-3. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Safer Brand 9333 Ringer Lawn Fertilizer
This fertilizer comes in a 25-pound bag and can be used on a surface up to 5000 square feet. Your lawn will be revitalized, and you can enjoy a soft, dense grass in a matter of days. It does not contain poultry litter of bio-solids, which is a way of some manufacturers to cut corners in the production process. That is why I recommended that you don’t buy the cheapest fertilizer you can find.
The Safer Brand doesn’t contain any manure either, and it has to odor. Nobody will know that you have just used a fertilizer on your lawn. Also, it does not contain any dangerous chemicals. That makes it entirely safe for children and pets.
The release is quick, so you will see an improvement relatively fast. The plants respond well to this fertilizer, and there is no chance you can burn your lawn. It works on any warm or cool season grass. You can even use it on KentuckyBluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, St. Augustine Grass, Bermuda Grass, Centipede Grass, and Tall Fescue.
Safer Brand can also be used to repair thedamage done by diseases or drought. It stimulates young grass, and it fixes yellow turf. The NPK ratio is 10-0-6. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food
Since the previous two products are granules, I thought that maybe you prefer a liquid fertilizer, which is why I chose the Miracle-Gro fertilizer. The effects are instant, and you will notice an improvement in a very short period of time. However, for maximum effect, I recommend that you combine this fertilizer with the Miracle-Gro Feeder. It can be used on any type of grass and under no circumstances can it cause lawn burns.
The fertilizer will stimulate the soft green carpet, and the grass will be thick and dense. Whenever you step on the lawn barefoot, it will give you the feeling of a cushion underneath your feet. People who used this noticed improvements in as little as two days, so if your lawn is relatively okay, you should experience the same thing.
The container weighs 5 pounds, but it can cover up to 4000 square feet. The box contains crystals that are soluble in water, and even if the manufacturer recommend that you use the Miracle-GroFeeder, some people use other means as well, and it works. For example, you can add this fertilizer to your irrigation system. The fertilizer injectors should have no problem spreading all the fertilizer around. And if it worked for other people, I don’t see why it couldn’t work for you as well. It is harmless to children and pets, and the NPK is 36-0-6. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
To be honest, it was a tough choice because all three products will meet the purpose for which they were created. They are excellent fertilizers that will do a great job with your lawn. However, since it has an ideal Nitrogen concentration, I think I am going to go with the Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food. The effects are rapid, and the grass looks amazing after using it. That is why I believe that Scotts Turf Builder is one of the best lawn fertilizers on the market.
I think that as long as you pay attention to details, your lawn can look amazing. The details I am referring to are related to what you know about your lawn. Perform a test and see what the soil needs. After that, you can choose one of the three lawn fertilizers I described above. I am sure that you will be satisfied with the results. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Find Out Who’s Worried About Lawn Fertiliser and Why You Should Listen to Them
- The Hidden Treasure of when to Fertilize Lawn
- New Article Reveals the Low Down on Best Fertilizer for Grass and Why You Must Take Action Today
- The Key to Successful Organic Lawn Fertilizer
- Getting the Best Fertilizer for Grass
- Top Organic Fertilizer Reviews!
- Best Fertilizer Fundamentals Explained
- Lawn Care – the Conspriracy
- The Ultimate Lawn Feed Trick
- The Tried and True Method for Grass Fertilizer in Step by Step Detail
- Kids, Work and Organic Lawn Care
- The Insider Secret on Lawn Fertilizer Exposed
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Spring Fertilizer for Lawns
- A Startling Fact about when to Fertilize Grass Uncovered
- The War Against Garden Fertilizer
- What Everyone Is Saying About Best Lawn Fertilizer and Weed Killer and What You Need to Do
- Where to Find Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
- The Good, the Bad and Best Fertilizer for Lawn
- A Secret Weapon for Best Lawn Fertiliser
- Read What Gurus are Saying About Fall Lawn Fertilizer
- The Start of Lawn Fertilizer for Spring
- Yard Fertilizer Fundamentals Explained
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Best Lawn Fertilizer for Spring and How to Avoid It
- Choosing Good Grass Feed
- The Chronicles of Grass Fertiliser
- The Benefits of Lawn Food
- The End of Lawn Fertilizer Schedule
- What You Must Know About Lawn Aerator
- How to Find Fall Fertilizer
- Fertilizing Lawn Tips
- Best Lawn Feed Explained
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Spring Lawn Fertilizer…The Simple Truth Revealed
- The One Thing to Do for Best Grass Fertilizer
- Whispered Spring Fertilizer Secrets
- Purchasing Lawn Maintenance